Carve this adorable watermelon turtle and not only does it make a great table decoration but also a creative fruit bowl. It easy to make following these instructions and is sure to impress friends at a party.
1 watermelon – oblong shape
Channel knife or alternatively use the top of a vegetable peeler
Dry erase marker pen
2 Peppercorns (for the eyes)
Leaves, plants, or other desired decorations
Toothpicks or other skewers
- Take an oblong watermelon for this turtle carving.
- Rinse under cool water and thoroughly dry.
- Cut the melon in half down the length.
- Use a melon baller to remove the flesh from both sides.
- On the edge of the bottom piece, carve in the brick pattern.
- On the top piece of use the larker pen to draw the shell design in the center use the outer rind to create the head and legs.
- Use a knife to cut out the shapes and then a channel knife to carve in the pattern.
- Cut out eye holes and then fill with pepper corns.
- Fill the base part with mixed fruit of choice such as watermelon, blueberries and raspberries.
- Use toothpicks or skewers to hold the head and legs firmly attached to the shell. Decorate the plate with some plants and leaves.