This watermelon smile carving will cheer up any kind of dinner party or gathering. It is easy to make and is a fun alternative to a fruit bowl.
1 watermelon – round
Sharp pencil or erasable marker
Large Kitchen knife
Flower theme cookie cutters
- Take your watermelon and cut off 1/4″ inch to make a flat and stable base.
- Use your pencil or marker to draw a line around the top of the watermelon to determine how much you will cut off.
- Remove this top portion and save the rind to create the decorative flowers. Hollow out the watermelon using the melon baller and use in the fruit salad.
- Mark in the eyes and mouth, using the image above as a guide. Then use a paring knife to cut them out. From the rind you removed previously from the top, cut thin slices and then use a cookie cutter to create flower shapes.
- Secure the flowers to the top of the watermelon using toothpicks and add melon balls for the centers of the flowers.
- Finally fill the carving with fruit salad, we recommend a mixture of watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew melon balls.