Learn how to carve a watermelon into this awesome shark edible fruit arrangements. Ideal for birthday parties or as a table centerpiece for dinner with friends or family.
1 watermelon, seeded or seedless and oblong in shape
1 Dry erase marker pen
Small utility knife
Swedish fish candies for decoration (optional)
Paring knife or alternatively use the tip of a vegetable peeler
2 large marbles
Toothpicks or wooden skewers
- Rinse watermelon under cool water and thoroughly dry.
- Cut the watermelon diagonally about 1/3 of the way down.
- Take the larger half and use the end you cut as the base. Use the marker pen to draw an outline of the mouth and eyes.
- Carefully cut out the mouth section and then trim the dark green rind back to reveal the lighter rind underneath to use as the teeth.
- Remove the inner red flesh via the mouth, leaving a thick layer at the base to keep the carving sturdy.
- Use a small knife to cut out the pointy triangular teeth.
- Take your melon scoop and create eye sockets large enough to insert marbles as the eye balls.
- With the section of rind removed from the mouth, cut out the fin shape and secure in place using toothpicks.
- Fill the shark’s mouth with pieces of watermelon and if so desired garnish with candied fish.