Create this brilliant watermelon robot. Not only is a creative and original table centerpiece but it is also a great way of serving fruit salad.
1 seeded or seedless watermelon – slightly oblong is best
Kitchen and paring knives
Toothpicks and wooden skewers
Pieces of hardware to be used for features and decoration:
Two 3/8″ cap nuts and two 1/2″ lock washers attached to a 3/8″ hex bolt to use as eyes.
One 5/8″ hitch pin clip to use as the mouth
Two 11/16″ hitch pin clips to use as the antennae
Two 7″ pieces of metal conduit for arms, use pliers to stretch the and make them flexible
Two 1/2″ hex bolts with 1/2″ wing nuts for hands, attached to the conduit arms.
Four 3/16″ X 2″ cotter pins – loop two pins together to make each leg.
Two 1/4″ spring nuts (with springs removed) for feet.
Three or more 5/16″ tee nuts to use as decoration on the front of robot
One 3/16″ X 2″ cotter pin
- Thoroughly read through all instructions before beginning.
- Wash and drain all fruit before using as the fruit salad.
- Hollow out the watermelon, keeping the fruit in as large pieces as possible.
- Outline the robot design using a marker pen, ideally a dry erase green one.
- Brand-new hardware and pliers should be used for the robot decorations and everything should be washed in warm soapy water before use.
- Rinse and dry the watermelon.
- With the watermelon on it’s side, cut in half. Take the widest half and cut 1/4″ from the uncut end to create a steady base.
- With the watermelon now on it’s end, hollow it out, keeping the fruit in large pieces. Keep for later to use in the fruit salad. Place on an aluminum base.
- From the half of the watermelon that you have not yet used, cut out a large rectangular piece from the flesh to use as the head.
- Attach the eyes, mouth and antenna to the watermelon head and secure it to the back of the body piece using wooden skewers.
- Screw the conduit into the side of the body to create the arms. Add legs and decorate the front of the body with hardware in the robot design.
- Fill the robot carving with watermelon chucks and other fruit of choice.