Learn how to carve this adorable and creative watermelon penguin. It is the perfect addition to any kind of party or gathering, particularly around the holiday time.
1 medium-to-large watermelon – slightly oblong in shape
Kitchen Knife & paring knife
Green dry erase marker or sharp pencil
Toothpicks or wooden skewers
Blue Gelatin cubes for water
- Wash and dry the watermelon.
- Cut 1/4″ from one end of the watermelon to create a strong base.
- Position the watermelon on it’s new base and draw in the penguin design with a marker pen, using the image above as a reference.
- Next about 2/3rd from the top, starting on the opposite side from the penguin design draw a horizontal line to indicate where the bow will be.
- Carefully cut along your line, taking care not to cut through the penguin.
- Remove all flesh from the bowl and reserve to use later in the fruit salad.
- Give the penguin some details by using the vegetable peeler to remove the dark green rind on the belly and face.
- Watermelon flesh that was removed earlier can be used to make a bow tie, nose and beak, which can all be secured using toothpicks.
- Finally fill the bowl with fruit salad and place on a platter of blue gelatin.