Learn how to carve this elegant watermelon outrigger. A great addition to any occasion, the outrigger displays the fresh fruit beautifully, making it an appetizing feature.
1 seeded watermelon – as long as possible
1 chef’s knife
1 paring knife
1 wooden spoon for serving and can double as a canoe paddle
1 marker pen
Pineapple and coconut for the mixed salad
- Cut about 1/4″ off from one side of the melon to create a steady base.
- Use your marker pen to outline the edge of the boat about a 3rd of the way down.
- Carefully cut out the boat following the lines you marked.
- Hollow out the melon, saving the flesh to use in the fruit salad.
- From the top section of rind that we removed, cut out the float and adjoining bars.
- Position the float and bars and if necessary secure with toothpicks.
- Fill with mixed fruit salad such as watermelon, pineapple and coconut chunks.