Perfect for race car fans is this carved watermelon NASCAR race car. Its both a fruit bowl and a brilliantly creative table feature piece.
1 watermelon – large and oblong
Kitchen knife & paring knife
Green dry erase marker pen
Channel knife or top of a vegetable peeler
Dowels & toothpicks
Decorations (optional)- Tires playing cards or photocopies, racing stickers, racing
flags, assorted cookie cutters
Hot glue gun
- Wash and dry the watermelon.
- Cut 1/4″ from one side of the watermelon to provide a solid base. Cut the melon in half length ways, keep the top half to cut out the shape of the car.
- Remove the flesh from both sides of the melon and keep to use diced up in the fruit salad.
- Use the NASCAR template to draw the outline of the car and then carefully cut it out. With a channel knife carve in the details such as the windows, doors and bumpers.
- Stickers or photocopies can be used for the wheels and a thick slice of watermelon cut into your favorite number can be secured to the side of the car with toothpicks.
- Secure the car to the back of the watermelon with wooden skewers and then fill the base with your fruit salad.
- Download the Nascar Outline Picture