A fun and creative alternative to a fruit salad bowl is this carved watermelon Mouse. It’s simple to make and ideal around the holidays.
1 watermelon, seeded or seedless and the longer the better
Kitchen and paring knives
Green dry erase marker
Channel knife or the top of a vegetable peeler will also work
Black licorice string
- It is best to throughly read all instructions before starting.
- Rinse, cut and drain the juices from your fruit salad before putting it in the carving.
- Remember when cutting out the flesh to keep it in as big pieces as possible to that it can be used for other things.
- A green dry erase marker pen is best for drawing your design as it can be wiped off later.
- Rinse your oblong watermelon and then thoroughly dry it.
- To create a stable base, cut off 1/4″ from one side, being careful not to cut too deep into the white rind so that liquid will not seep out.
- About 1/3rd of the way down, width ways, draw a line that goes over the top of the watermelon and about half way down.
- Where these two lines stop draw a line so the two points meet that comes out diagonally towards the other end of the melon. Look at the picture as a guide.
- Carefully using a large knife cut out the section you have marked in one large piece. Hollow out the inside of the fruit, leaving a layer of red flesh as this is more visually aesthetic than revealing the white rind.
- Use your pen again to design the oversized mouth and teeth of the moose.When you are happy with it use a paring knife to create the definition between teeth. To give them a lighter color that look more like teeth, scrape away the top layer of dark green rind to expose the lighter rind.
- Thicken the horizontal line between the upper and lower teeth making the cut deep enough to just expose the red flesh of the fruit from the inside.
- From the piece of rind that we previously removed, draw two matching antler designs. Make them thick enough not to break but not so thick that they are too heavy.
- Eyes can be made by cutting out two triangular pieces and securing half pieces of grapes to them with a toothpick. Licorice string can be used for eye lashes.
- Fill the watermelon moose with mixed fruit salad including the watermelon that you removed.