Filled with seasonal fresh fruit this watermelon Ladybug makes a great edible centerpiece for any occasion but is particularly popular with the kids!
1 watermelon – round in shape
Pen or sharp pencil
1 paring knife
- Take a round watermelon and cut a thin slice from one side to provide a steady base.
- From the top of the watermelon, cut out the wings and remove any red flesh.
- With a melon baller take scoops from the top of the wings for the dots.
- Use a paring knife and remove the top layer of dark green rind from the edges of the wings to give them a 3D look.
- From the rind we removed to make the base, cut out two long thin antenna’s and six V shape legs.
- Using the same method as you used to make the dots on the wings, make holes for the eyes and fill in all holes with pieces of melon. White rind works best for the eyes.
- Take some toothpicks to use to attach the legs and antennae to the watermelon. Place the wings as if spread open slightly and secure with more toothpicks.
- Finally fill the entire ladybug with fruit salad and enjoy!