This watermelon carving really does make a great addition to any kind of event or party. The watermelon flower looks beautiful and makes the perfect edible fruit centerpiece.
1 Watermelon – as round as possible
Sharp pencil or dry erase marker marker
Ice Cream Scoop or Knife
- Take your round watermelon and slice off about 1/4″ from the bottom to create a stable base.
- Using your pencil or erasable marker pen, outline the shape of 4 equal and separate flower petals about 1/3 of the way up the watermelon.
- Remove the top 3rd of the melon with a knife and keep it to use later.
- Now cut out the flower petals that you drew previously so you should now have three sections. (Use the image above as a guide).
- Remove the flesh from the middle section and turn upside down. This is now the base of the watermelon flower.
- Cut out completely the 4 separate petals and place them on top of the base piece.
- Now take the top section that we set aside previously and using the melon baller scoop out 3 perfect balls that we will use as the middle of the flowers. With any left over flesh, cut it up into chucks and fill the petals with it.
- Now take the white rind of this top sections and cit out 3 equal sized squares.
- These squares can now be turned into flowers using the melon baller to fashion the petals. Secure the melon balls that we made earlier into the center of the flower using toothpicks and then rest them on top of your watermelon flower.