Learn how to carve this brilliant watermelon fish fruit salad. Great as a table centerpiece or simply as a creative and tasty desert.
Handful of toothpicks
- Begin by making a steady base by cutting off 1/4 inch from one of the long sides.
- Use a melon baller to remove a rectangular shaped piece from the top of the melon. This will create a wavy edge. Save the removed piece as this will be used to make the fins and the tail.
- Hollow out the watermelon, saving the flesh to use later in the salad.
- From the rectangular rind that we removed from the top cut out the shapes of the fins and tail and secure in place using toothpicks.
- Take the melon scoop once again and use it to create the circles for the eyes. Scoop out the piece and use a knife to thicken the edges. Then put the removed piece back in the hole.
- A paring knife is ideal for the mouth. Mark lines either side of the stem of the watermelon and then gently push the mouth out from the inside to give it more definition.
- The fin can also be decorated with some detail using the melon baller to create curves or a knife to carve straight lines.
- Finally fill the carving with fresh fruit of your choice. Using the melon scoop to make fruit balls gives it an extra interesting look!