This retro watermelon convertible bug fruit arrangement is sure to wow your friends. Its not only creative and artistic but is filled with delicious and healthy fresh fruits.
1 Watermelon – ideally slightly oblong in shape
1 melon scoop
- First of all take your slightly oblong watermelon and cut 1/4″ form one of the long sides to create the base. Now use a pencil to lightly mark the features of the car, remember to include the convertible roof, doors and wheels.
- Carefully remove the top or “roof” of the car, keeping the piece in tact to use to make some of the features of the car such as bumpers and surf board.
- Now we need to cut out half of the wheels and then the undercarriage of the car so that the wheels are the only thing supporting the car. Look at the image above for guidance.
- Take your paring knife to carve the details that you previously made with your pencil. Make them thick enough to really be seen. Extra details such as the hubcap notches can be made using a channeling knife.
- Create the headlights using the melon scoop to dig out holes and then fill them with pieces of peach. Keep them secure using pieces of toothpick.
- Hollow out the entire carving saving the fruit to cut up into pieces and use later in the fruit salad.
- Using the rind that was previously removed from the top of the watermelon, cut out a windscreen shape. Shave off some of the outer rind to make a lighter green color.
- With left over pieces of rind, create the surfboard and bumper, then secure with toothpicks.
- Finally fill the car with watermelon, peach slices and grapes!