Ideal for a birthday but suitable for any kind of celebratory party, this watermelon carving makes a great fruit arrangement that fits in with the theme of the party. Follow the simple instructions below to make your very own watermelon celebrate carving.
1 Watermelon – the longer the better
1 Channel knife or the top of a vegetable peeler
Crinkle cutter – optional
Circular cookie cutter
Letter stencil and pen
Candles, confetti or decorations of choice
- Rinse and dry the watermelon and then cut approximately 1/4 inch off of one of the long sides to become the base.
- Cut off about 1/3 of what is now the top of the watermelon and carve little curves or triangles into the edge.
- Hollow out the watermelon taking large chunks so that you are able to use the flesh to cut out two 1 inch rings to be used to make the “cake”. Also use the circular cookie cutter to make the “icing” out of some of the white watermelon rind.
- Now cut up any fruit left over into small pieces (this is where you may wish to use the crinkle cutter) and mix with other seasonal fruit of your choice.
- Use your pen and stencil to draw the letters celebration or message of choice. Remember to leave enough space between the letters as the lines will be thicker when you carve them. Carve the letters very careful using a channeling knife if you have one, or alternatively the top of a vegetable peeler. Make shallow cuts so that you only remove the outer green rind.
- Now fill your carving with the fruit salad and place your layered watermelon “cake” on top. If you find the cake too unstable place it on a small dish first. Decorate the cake with candles and small pieces of fruit or berries. Decorate the plate as much as you like using confetti, ribbons, party poppers and anything else you can find!