This stunning watermelon carving alternative to a fruit bowl is certain to impress friends and family whether you are hosting an elegant party or a more intimate family dinner. Filled with fresh seasonal fruits of your preference, it will taste just as good as it looks.
1 Watermelon – longer shaped work best for this carving
Pastry cutter in the shape of a leaf
A handful of Toothpicks
- Take one oblong shaped melon, and slice off approximately 1/4″ slice from one of the long sides so that it is able to sit steadily on a flat surface.
- Using a sharp pencil or dry erase marker pen, draw the wavy line around the entire watermelon approximately 1/3 of the way down using the image above as a reference and then cut.
- Hollow out the watermelon keeping as much as the flesh in tact as possible to use later in the salad. The ice cream scoop is useful for this.
- Use cake divider pillars by inserting them into the base of the watermelon and use the top of the basket that you previously removed as the upper platter. If necessary use metal skewers to hold the top level firmly in place. Keep everything towards the back of the basket so that it is not easily visible.
- Use the white rind that you have previously removed and the leaf shaped pastry cutter to create little decorative pieces. These can then be secured using the toothpicks.
- Now fill the entire carving with watermelon and mixed fruits, including the upper platter to create the cascading fruit effect.