This watermelon butterfly basket is a great idea for a homemade gift that also makes a great addition to any party. The edible fruit basket is a beautiful way to display a fruit salad.
1 Watermelon (oblong shaped melons work best for this carving)
1 chef’s knife
1 paring knife or vegetable peeler
A handful of toothpicks
An assortment of butterfly and flower shaped cookie cutters
1 honeydew melon
Dry Erase Marker (green color is preferable)
- Rinse and dry the fruit and then carefully slice off about ¼” from one of the long sides of the watermelon so that it sits firmly on the surface.
- Take a dry erase marker as this way any excess markings can be removed, draw a wavy handle outline from one end to the other on the top length of the fruit. Now from either end of the handle, mark a wavy line that will represent the edge of the basket.
- Carefully use a sharp knife to follow the lines you have drawn. Any white rind that you remove is great to use to make white butterfly and flower decorations.
- Remove all of the flesh from inside the watermelon basket and use the cookie cutters to make more edible decorations. You can also cut out more shapes using the cantaloupe and honeydew melons. Always cut the fruit into thin slices before trying to use the cookie shape cutters.
- Use the toothpicks to attach your decorations to the skin of the watermelon including the handle.
- Finally fill your watermelon basket carving with chunks of watermelon and other fruit of your preference.
- Enjoy your creation and see if it tastes as good as it looks!