One great themed party food idea is this birthday cake that has been carved from a watermelon. It is simple to do and makes a great edible gift or fruit centerpiece for a birthday party.
1 Watermelon (preferably long rather than round)
1 Channel Knife or vegetable peeler
Birthday candles and mint for decoration
- The best shaped watermelon for this carving would be long with as straight sides as possible.
- Rinse the fruit and thoroughly dry.
- Chop off the two rounded ends of the watermelon.
- Cut the remaining fruit into 2 inch circular slices
- A channel knife is best for decorating the rind of each ring of fruit but if you do not have one, you should find the top of a vegetable peeler to be effective.
- Slice each individual ring into six pieces.
- Keep the pieces together as a ring but as you stack them rearrange the wedges so that each layer overlaps creating an interesting cake design. Use as many rings as you like until the cake is the height you want.
- Use the berries, whipped cream and candles to decorate the top of the watermelon birthday cake carving. Mint leaves make a tasty garnish.