Easy to make and with an elegant appearance, this watermelon americana basket would make a great addition to any kind of party or special occasion. Your friends will be impressed with this take on a fruit bowl that is beautiful enough to be used as a table centerpiece.
1 Oblong Watermelon
Kitchen and carving Knives
Marker pen or sharp pencil
- Cut off around 1/4″ from one side of the watermelon to make a solid base.
- Use your pencil or marker to outline the handle and zig zig edge of the basket. Cut out carefully starting with the handle.
- Remove the flesh from inside, keeping it big pieces that can be used later.
- From the pieces of flesh you removed, first cut it into slices and then use star shaped cookie cutters to create shapes.
- From the left over white rind, cut out 5 star shapes and attach with toothpicks to the handle of the basket.
- Fill the basket with watermelon cubes.
- Add other colored fruit to make the basket look more interesting and colorful.
- Finish by placing the star shaped pieces of fruit on top of the basket.