Learn how to carve a watermelon into an 8 ball punch bowl. Ideal for any kinds of party or gathering; it looks great and is a brilliant alternative to the boring standard punch bowl.
1 round watermelon – medium-large in size
Kitchen & paring knives
Green dry-erase markers
Channel knife or the end of a vegetable peeler
Saucers to fit under the punch bowl & snack bowls
Black icing (optional)
Recipe for watermelon punch
Personal watermelons for the snack bowls, as many as needed.
Plastic cup, to fit snacks inside the personal watermelon.
- Rinse all melons under cool water and thoroughly dry.
- Cut 1/4″ from one end of the large watermelon to be used as the punch bowl to create a stable base.
- Use the paper plate as a stencil and draw a circle on one side of the watermelon. Draw a large number 8 in the middle of this circle. Use a channel knife to carve the outline of the circle and the number 8. It is up to you whether you want to remove the inside circles from the 8 or leave them filled in.
- Use a paring knife to remove the outer green rind from between the number 8 and the outside of the circle.
- Slice off the top of the watermelon and hollow it out, keeping the flesh to use in the punch. For contrast, line the circle and number 8 with black icing.
- The punchbowl should be places on a saucer and filled with cooled watermelon punch.
- Take a smaller watermelon and carve in a similar way to the punch bowl. Use a plastic cup as the circle stencil and draw your favorite pool ball number in the middle.
- Slice off the top and hollow out so that the plastic cup will fit inside.
- Fill the inner cup with snacks of choice.