Check out this scary watermelon pirate girl skull. It will make the perfect spooky halloween decoration or table centerpiece.
1 watermelon – small – medium and round in shape
Kitchen knife & paring knife
Green dry erase marker pen
Decorations: black licorice rope disk for eye patch, bandana, hoop earring,
flameless candles, etc.
Toothpicks or straight pins
Pirate Skull Outline
- Wash and dry the watermelon.
- Cut 1/4″ off of one edge of the watermelon to create a solid base.
- At the very top of the watermelon cut a hole between 3-4″ big and remove all of the flesh from inside the carving. Keep everything that you remove to one side to create melon balls for later.
- Use the pirate skull template and draw around it with your marker pen.
- Use a channel knife to carve around the outline that you made with the marker.Cut out the center with a small knife, taking care to leave the skull attached to the rest of the watermelon in some places such as at the tip of the cross bones.
- Carefully trim away the dark green rind at the edge of skull to that the contrasting lightly colored rind shows through.
- Decorate the carving with a licorice disk as an eye patch and a section of a bandana. Put candles inside for a spooky glow.
- Place on a platter and surround with watermelon balls.